Ask an electrician

If you are not sure whether or not something is safe for continued use, ask an electrician. We are highly trained in fault finding and regulation changes.There is a reason for all the years spent at college and ongoing training. Let us help you with our knowledge. 

If it is a house/domestic dwelling you typical get 10 years from when a house is rewired until it is due for its first periodic test / condition report to be carried out. This can be reduced if there has been an alteration or addition made or if there is cause for concern such as water damage.

In general a domestic property will be due every 5 years unless otherwise specified. There should be a ‘next test due date’ sticker on the consumer unit (fuse box).

If you are in any doubt, Ask an electrician, we will be glad to identify when you would be best to have your property tested.

Smoke and fire detection can vary greatly dependant on the fire escape, the room layout, the construction of the property and the layout of the ceiling.

Commonly we will advise clients to have at very least these areas covered:

Kitchen – heat detector

Landing – smoke detector

Hallway – smoke detector

This is because these areas are in central locations and areas that smoke will quickly spread to in case of a fire. Their central placement also ensures that the sounding of the alarm is typically close enough to the bedrooms to provide ample sound to wake you.

If you would like us to assess your fire alarm in your home, school, workplace/business – give us a call and we will get you booked in

At present, we cover the whole of Norfolk and Suffolk with aims to expand in the near future.

If you are in any doubt about whether we would cover your area, give us a call or drop us an email and one of our staff will be more than happy to help

As you may have heard – the 18th edition of the wiring regulations are out!

This is extremely important for you as customers to be aware of, depending on your requirements.

There are many changes made in the newest edition of the wiring reg’s and to ensure you stay covered by your insurance all electrical work designed after 31st of December 2018 must be to these new regulations!

When buying a property people often try to gain peace of mind by having a look at all the paperwork that would cover their potential purchase (their new home). This includes the electrical installation which if not done right can lead to some serious issues.

An EICR or Electrical Installation Condition Report (formerly known as a PIR or Periodic Inspection Report) is a test of typically an entire installation to ascertain its condition and whether it is ‘safe for continued use’.  This type of test will highlight any issues that may be present, these are detailed as observations. Typically landlords looking to let their property and homeowners looking to seel will need to have one of these reports.

A compliance certificate is usually considered to be the local authority’s sign off in the form of a piece of paper which any registered electrician can provide. These are required where the work is ‘Notifiable’ to the local authority. If the work is ‘Non-Notifiable’ the registered electrician (Competent Person) can sign the job off without notification. 

Please feel free to contact us via any of the details shown on our ‘Contact’ page.

Messages sent via Facebook may be replied to the quickest.

One of our helpful technicians will gladly assist you with finding the answer to your query.


Request A Quote Today


Reach Us

Location :

Unit 38 Longs Industrial Estate, Englands Lane, Gorleston, Great Yarmouth, NR31 6NE

Email :


Phone :

07494 649 629

01493 888 449

[contact-form-7 id='9' title='Footer Enquiry Form']
Sonic Electrical EA Great Yarmouth Electricians

Find us on your favourite social media and follow us for updates!